Sunday, June 10, 2007

Papa's Walking Stick

Well, I finished it! I made a walking cane for myself. I've been making canes and walking sticks since I was a young man of 28. I made one for my beautiful dad years ago. He died in 1986. Then Julie's dad suffered a severe stroke in 1976. I made him a wonderful cane, then went to a German engraver who put a rosebud and the name "Bud" on a gold plate that I fixed to the cane. I've made a lot of walking sticks for whomever wanted them, but my special one was made for my dear, twin sister (she's a SSND).
On Thursday, while I was putting those scary faces on trees with two of Laura's dollies. My knee went out again and I fell headfirst on to the lawn! Julie and the kids helped me get up. Last week, my big son (6'4", 274 lbs) took me fishing. He had to help me in the boat, but my knee gave out and I fell again. Last fall, while hunting deer on Nick's land, I saw two sticks that were perfect to make in to walking sticks. I brought them home but left them in my suburban. After these three falling incidents, I knew it was time to make a walking stick for myself. Well, I did.
I guess I'm officially an old man.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Daddy, I want a walking stick too! I don't neeeed one, but I waaaant one! Will you make one for me?

P.S. I updated my blog at your request. Love you! Happy Father's Day!

Unknown said...

John

Your daughter, Laura, the crazy one, as opposed to the other one, ordered me to talk to you to let you know that you have to start communications for them to be finished. Not much happens if you just type and wait.

I just sold my Irish Shillelagh walking stick a couple of years ago. Now I'm thinking that being an official geezer, I might be in the market for one of them one of these days, so it's good to know where I can go to find one.

Stop by my Stella Borealis blog and check out the right column for a great list of all the blogs and web pages in MN and surrounding area.


Ray from MN

If you click on my photo (it's a great likeness), you will get access to my profile and somewhere there, you will find my email address. Or you can get it from Laura.

But you should learn how to navigate yourself. It's fun.


http://www.northlandcatholic.blogspot.com