Thursday, March 13, 2008

Witness

I’ve seen Neil Armstrong stroll one day,
I’ve witnessed shocks of grain.
I’ve seen the mighty eagles fly,
I’ve curried horses mane.

An abacus I use for math,
It’s circles I would send.
Witnessed powerful computers
My mind can’t comprehend.

I love to see Old Glory fly
And still do to this day.
I thank God this has never changed
And for showing us the way.

I still believe in simple things,
They’re forever on my mind.
Time is moving far too fast,
It’s leaving me behind.

His words of promise still so strong
Console my heart and mind...
"I’ll be with you all the days,
Even to the end of time."

The only constants I have left,
My family and my God,
Will keep my soul in lasting peace
When they cover me with sod.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO! Another poet. You're such a great writer Mr. D! My husband will love this. He doesn't like my poetry too much....too intense for him. Take care. What a gift to future generations of Ds!

Kat said...

Pops, I'm glad your little incident today did not result in the sod situation to which you are referring in this otherwise lovely poem, or as Mom would say, POI-em.

Love you,
The Middle Sister

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Ahem, it's more accurately pronounced PO-EEEM.

The Big One